ACTIVITY FEED FORUMS Strength & Conditioning How to build Culture and Commitment in the weight room. Reply To: How to build Culture and Commitment in the weight room.

• barton.cron

February 9, 2021 at 9:54 am

I had a similar situation as you. To me starting with clear and explicit expectations for what the standard of your room is going to look like and what you expect has got to start from the very beginning. I am not saying that you have to rule with an Iron fist but setting the standard from the start will go a long ways. Also if you break the workout into different segments or rounds then it is harder for kids to hide or not complete work. If round one only offers three lifts and there are four kids in a group then three are completing different lifts and one is spotting on a primary lift of helping to prep for the next round if they need to get different equipment. I also think that you need to try and find a way to get kids in the room more than twice a week. Getting the coaches from other teams to be around from time to time to lead kids and help show the importance of the room can also go a long way. Some players that are reluctant to work may be more likely to show up if their head coach is there. Everyone wants to talk about how good they want to be but few are willing to do the work in the weight room that can translate to success on the field or court. “Everyone wants to eat but few want to hunt”.

Just a few nuggets that have helped me along the way. Let me know if you have any other questions or want to talk.